A parent contact log is a form of communication that teachers use to keep parents updated on day-to-day classroom activities. It is a document that helps inform parents about their children’s behavior, achievements, and class progress. It also plays an integral role in documenting a student’s troubles and successes while in school. A parent contact log is a valuable tool for both teachers and the parents. However, it is essential to note that the information provided in a parent contact log should always be informative of the child’s behavior and success. Anything other than that could make the parent lose interest in it.
Importance of Parent-Teacher Communication
Parent-teacher communication is vital for a student’s success. Parent contact logs play an essential role in ensuring communication is maintained between parents and teachers. Teachers use this form for several reasons. Some of them include:
In situations where a student fails in class and needs close supervision, a teacher may need to set a meeting with their parent. This happens when the student’s parent adheres to the call made by the teacher. It is not prudent to allow the student to communicate directly with the parent in such a situation.
When a student has behavioral problems, struggles academically, or has been referred for testing, it is advised that teachers convey such information to the parent as soon as possible. You can also document this information in the parent contact log. Indicate how often you called the parent, the message you delivered, and the feedback you got from them.
Parents need updates on how their kids are performing both in academics and curricular activities. When you have a parent contact log, you will keep track of the kid’s daily activities. You will easily explain it to the parent when called upon.
What Information Should be Included in the Parent Contact Log?
Here is what you should write in a parent contact log
- The name of the student: Indicate the name of the student, their administration number, and their class.
- Please indicate the date: This is important because it will help determine how often you communicated with the parent.
- Please give details of the person you communicated with in your parent contact log: By providing details, you make it easier to establish which student is facing challenges. It also helps you determine the common topic you discuss with parents.
- Indicate the means of communication you used to reach the contact, i.e., phone call, email, note home, SMS, or physical meeting.
- Highlight the concerns you have with the student: This forms a crucial part of the document. It is the section where you mention what concerns you with the student. Concerns could include poor performance in class, unwanted behavior, and health-related problems, among others.
- Fill in any other additional notes you might have: Here, you can write the feedback you got from the parent, how the issue was resolved, and the student’s progress after talking to the parent, etc.
Why You Need a Parent Contact Log
There are several reasons why teachers need a parent contact log. Teachers need this information because:
In situations where a student struggles academically or is failing in class, you may need to show evidence that you communicated with their parents about it. You may also need to indicate how often you spoke with the parents, what you talked about, and the parents’ feedback. A parent contact log helps you keep track of this information, and you won’t have a difficult time when called upon.
Through the help of a parent contact log, you will see the patterns in your communication. If you are calling a specific parent about only negative things, it will show you. It will also show you the frequency you call each parent and the type of topics you discuss.
Using a Parent Contact Log Templates
Now that you are aware of the importance of having a parent contact log, it is time to learn how you can maintain one. Follow these steps:
- Please print out your parent contact log and place it on a clipboard.
- Place a hook or hanger on the wall near your computer. Hang your clipboard on the hook.
- Anytime you get in touch with a parent, update your parent contact log (already hanging by!).
Free Parent Contact Log Templates
The importance of a communication log cannot be underestimated. It helps keep a proper record of all the communication activities that took place between teachers and parents. Excellent and stable communication between a teacher and the parent plays an integral part in the student’s success.
Furthermore, it helps the parent take appropriate measures by offering help to eliminate problems behind the student’s poor performance. Are you having challenges creating a parent contact log? Take the help of our detailed and highly professional parent contact log templates to create one. We have both free and premium templates that only need customization!