As adults, some situations might need another adult to take care of your young child. This can be occasioned by a school activity or a field trip that involves travelling to destinations far away from home. As the child’s parent, it is necessitated by the law to your approval or consent on your kid being taken away from home and put and the care of another adult. The best to do so is by signing a permission slip.
What is a Permission Slip?
For those in the United States, permission slips are documents that a learning institution or organization sends to parents or guardians to obtain consent for students to travel under the watch of teachers or respective authority for a specific field trip. The law demands that schools or organizations provide these documents. A permission slip legally allows these institutions to take care of children, especially those at a very young age during the field trip. Even though these regulations might vary between different countries or from state to state, they are generally present across the board. It is required that minors be given consent by their parents or guardians before they are put under the care of another adult. Some of the crucial information that can be found in a permission slip include the student’s name, location of the field trip and the emergency contact information.
We understand the importance of permission slips and made the process of obtaining one easier by designing several permission slip templates. Schools or organizations can use these templates in the process of designing new ones. They are easy to use and can be customized to fit your preferences.
What Does a Permission Slip Comprise of?
A permission slip contains the following essential details.
- Date: This is the date the field trip is scheduled to happen. It would be best if you were careful to differentiate the date of the trip and the date the permission slip was written. This is why it is essential to clarify the details when filling a permission slip.
- Name: This is the student’s name. Write their full names to avoid confusion. If possible, indicate the class of the student. It helps in situations where a student shares names with another.
- Guardian name: This is the name of the parent or guardian. Remember to include their respective titles when addressing them—for example, Dr, Prof, Mr, Mrs, etc.
- Location of the trip: This indicates where the students will be going for the field trip. It is recommended that you clarify exactly where the location is—mention which state and city—for example, The Bow Meadows, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Departure time: This indicates that time of the day when the students will leave for the field trip. Departure time is crucial because it enables parents to prepare their children in advance. They have to make sure that the student is ready at that time.
- Return time: This indicates the time when the students are expected back from the field trip. It is important because parents will know when to expect their children back. It also allows them to prepare for the arrival of students.
- Method of travel: This shows the means of transport the students will use to travel. Indicating the means of travel is crucial because there might be students who are not comfortable with certain forms of transport. This allows parents to address the issue.
- Signature of the guardian to give permission: Without the parent’s signature, the permission slip is null and void. As a parent, when you sign the document, you permit the relevant authorities to take care of your children during the field trip.
Suppose you are part of a school that uses permission slips to obtain permission from parents for their children to engage in various school activities. In that case, you can download and put into use our outstanding permission slip templates. We have easily customizable templates that can fit your specific needs.
1. How do I write a letter of permission for a field trip?
When writing a letter of permission, you need to indicate the name of the student, the date of the trip, the departure time and means of transport. You also need to give your consent to your child being another adult’s care.
2. Why is a field trip called a field trip?
Because “field” refers to the academic work done outside a classroom or school environment.
3. What should be on a permission slip?
A permission slip should contain the following details: Name of the student, name of the parent, location of the trip, date, departure time, return time, method of travel and the parent’s signature.
4. What should I bring on a field trip?
For academic trips, carry a notebook, prepare a list of questions, clothing, sunblock/insect repellent, among other things.
5. What slip means?
It is a piece of paper containing pertinent information about the details of a student and their parent’s consent.